Time is running out
Is this the way our democracy is supposed to work?
National Republicans have waged an unrelenting campaign to exploit every weakness and anachronism in our electoral system. Through a combination of hyperpartisan redistricting of the House, unprecedented obstructionism in the Senate and racist voter suppression in the states, today’s GOP has locked in political power that it could never have secured on a level playing field.
These people are the ones waving the flag and accusing progressives of being unpatriotic. What is American about trying to lie and cheat your way into office? And why can’t these people see that their way of life is virtually over.
What is on its way out?
- Bigotry and racism
- Religious fanaticism and interference with our secular government
- Slavocracy, with a tiny privileged group of people exploiting everyone else
- Women as second-class citizens, working for 70 cents on the dollar and giving up control over reproductive rights to legislators
- People dying from lack of affordable health care and insurance companies deciding who gets treatment
- Voter suppression and poll taxes
- Unlivable hourly wages
- An underclass of undocumented workers living in the shadows and doing back-breaking work, virtually for free
- Man-made climate change denial
- Prejudicial trade agreements that benefit big corporations
- International billionaires buying our elections
- Exclusion of same-sex couples from the same legal rights and privileges that heterosexual couples enjoy
- Holding back food from the 49 million people living at the poverty level, even though they are working or willing to
- Obstruction of government through filibusters and super-majorities, and refusing to put a bill on the floor for a vote
- Unrestricted use and open carrying of automatic weapons on our streets, buttressed by unconscionable ‘stand your ground’ and ‘castle doctrine’ laws
The list could go on and on. The GOP is on the wrong side of history. They can try to hold back the tide of change, but it will be increasingly difficult.
Such trickery has come to define the GOP’s approach to federal elections where Republicans can no longer prevail in a fair fight.
And by the way, they will be lucky if the next POTUS is Hilary Clinton and not Elizabeth Warren. Warren means business. She is no moderate and she is not only wildly popular, she raises money like no-one else. She has the big five banks in her sights as the real culprits in our recent Depression, not one of which has been brought to justice. They are now 30% bigger than they were in 2009.
According to Thom Hartmann, there is a major stock market crash on the horizon in 2016 (no props to Obama for the Dow flirting with 16,000 right now, from these petty extremists on the right, either). When that happens, the roiling populace that has had enough of disenfranchisement and the domination of America by the oligarchs, will simply rise up and squash the GOP once and for all.
The United States is in the midst of an economic implosion that could make the Great Depression look like child’s play. In THE CRASH OF 2016, Thom Hartmann argues that the facade of our once-great United States will soon disintegrate to reveal the rotting core where corporate and billionaire power and greed have replaced democratic infrastructure and governance. Our once-enlightened political and economic systems have been manipulated to ensure the success of only a fraction of the population at the expense of the rest of us.
The Republican war on the poor, minorities, gays, women, and Democrats just cannot succeed. Good people do not do these things. In the end, this is anti-American conduct and will not be supported by the majority of decent citizens for much longer.
Why can’t these people wake up and see it coming? I hate to say it but, it just seems like willful obtuseness from where I sit.
Images: thenewrepublic.com, amazon.com